Sunday, June 25, 2017

Another Awesome week!

We had such an awesome week! We stayed busy and were diligent and as we put forth our best efforts, Heavenly Father brought about miracles for us. 

On Tuesday, I was on exchanges with Sister B. We spent the day in Fort Valley. At one point we were going to try a referral from some missionaries in another area who had met a lady living in our area. We found her home but she wasn't there.  One of the houses we tried in the neighborhood didn't have anyone home - I reached into my pocket to find a pass along card to leave at the door. I pulled out a Book of Mormon card and then had the thought that it might be better to leave a Bible card since most people already know the Bible and might be more receptive to that invitation. So I found a Bible card and we went on our way. We ended up knocking the whole street, and had made it back into the car for the next thing we had planned when the phone buzzed. Media referral! I remember saying "I hope it's in Fort Valley" and then, as I read it, "Hey it's on Edward St.... Hey we're on Edward St!". The man living at the house that we had just left a Bible card at 30 minutes previous had already called! We were so thrilled and went right back to his house and talked about the goodness in the Bible and also gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon, committing him to read 2 Nephi 31. It was such a neat little miracle! The Holy Ghost prompted us to stay and knock that street, to leave the Bible pass along card, to be in that area and that time and it resulted in us meeting him right quick. What a cool thing.

 Also - at dinner that night we had blackberry cobbler and vanilla ice cream that was TO DIE FOR. Just sayin'. 

On Friday we were in an area tracting and for an appointment from 6-8. However, our 8pm plan fell through. As I wondered how we could best spend our time I thought of a family in the ward whom Sister Vand I tried hard to get to see but were never successful in doing so. I'd only seen them at church once and hardly knew them - I didn't feel hopeful that they would be home or open the door. As we left the area we had been working in, I first opened the ward directory in our binder and wondered if there was somewhere better to go. Then the Holy Ghost reminded me of something taught in conference by Elder Rasband in the most recent General Conference: "We must be confident in our first promptings. Sometimes we rationalize; we wonder if we are feeling a spiritual impression or if it is just our own thoughts. When we begin to second-guess, even third-guess, our feelings—and we all have—we are dismissing the Spirit; we are questioning divine counsel. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that if you will listen to the first promptings, you will get it right nine times out of ten." The absolute last thing I ever want to do is dismiss the Spirit - Remembering this warning and counsel, I followed through on my first impression and we drove to this families home. Their 9yr old daughter opened the door almost as soon as we knocked - we spent the next 45 minutes in their home, and had a wonderful visit. I am so thankful that the Spirit helped me to have that experience - to see and understand that acting on the very first prompting is always best. It still takes practice to do this but I am learning so much about how the Holy Ghost speaks to me and it is so awesome. Without the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost it would be literally impossible for me to have any measure of success as a missionary. It reminds me of the words of Mormon :  "And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will."
Allow the whisperings of the still small voice to guide you - to teach you the Lord's will. Then be sure to act promptly on the things you receive - it is the best way, every time. 

In closing: This week a member asked me why I was here. Here as in on a mission. I knew the answer but it made me think and ponder on that answer in coming days. Then this morning as I was studying I was so struck by the scripture in D&C123 about how many of God's children "are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it". I have heard that over and over again, but it really pierced my heart this week as I reflected on why I am out here serving the Lord. Ultimately, it is because I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that the fullness of the gospel was restored to the Earth by a prophet, Joseph Smith. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ can change hearts and create peace and lead us back to our Heavenly Father. And because I have a testimony of these things, I have a need to share them and testify of them and invite others to come and know these things for themselves. It is exciting and this work is so sweet. I am eager to continue doing my part by opening my mouth and sharing - I will delight in the agency of those whom I share truth with, for I know that the Lord is preparing hearts and minds for us to find who WILL accept the restored gospel and that we will be led to them on Heavenly Father's timeline. 

Yours,
Sister Gore


No comments:

Post a Comment