Sunday, November 19, 2017

This transfer, ending December 12, I set a goal to seek to develop the Christlike attribute of virtue. As part of this goal I have been praying daily for strength to do good and withstand temptation. On Wednesday Sister S needed a power nap and that left me some time. My initial thought was to put on music and do the dishes. I did put on music and then quickly became dissatisfied. My Spirit wanted quiet. And so I turned off the music and just listened and thought. And no impressive thoughts or revelations came. But the quiet was nice and my thoughts were elevated and I was thankful that Heavenly Father put that desire in my heart. And that I chose best. 

New sisters have been put in the Harlem Ward. We had lunch with them on Friday. Sister Sshared her conversion story which is basically awesome. Sister W shared her resistance to serving a mission for 2.5 years and how she finally submitted to the will of the Lord. Then she asked me, "Have you just always wanted to serve?" Shrugging, I confirmed her wondering with "Pretty much". And the conversation moved on. Unremarkable. Ordinary. No grand revelation or pivotal instance where I had a grand change of heart. And I thought about that for a moment and the Spirit showed me a new way to look at this: I am living my dream.
All of my desires and hopes to serve a mission have been realized and here I am doing exactly what I always wanted and that's incredible. I'm thankful for the things that Heavenly Father allowed to happen such that I can be here - for the sacrifices of my family - for my health and ability to be here. 

I'm not sure what else happened this week.  We can feel your prayers and good things happening. I know that the Lord has miracles prepared for us here. We just need to be willing to be an instrument in the Lord's hands. 

A is still out of town but has been reading the Book of Mormon.  We had msucadine grapes this week and they were so good. It's threatening to get cold which is awesome. 

 
Follow the Spirit. He's pretty good at these things.

-Sister Gore

Is it November already?

Happy things that happened this week:
1. The Elders have been trying to meet a less-active member of the church for like 6 months. We met him the first time we knocked on his door. He opened the door and said "Hi, Sisters" which is like.. my favorite thing that people say to us aside from "Can I be baptized?". It just warms my heart. How good to be a missionary. Anyways, super awesome guy who joined the church just like 7 years ago. We are going back to meet the rest of his family tonight.
2. We had interviews with President  this week. He took the time to role play the restoration (lesson 1) with each companionship. It was so cool to get to practice teaching him and Sister Grayson.   They gave us some really awesome feedback which we have been using in our contacts. As a direct result of applying their counsel, we got 2 new investigators this week!
3.  We met the K family this week. They are both converts but have not attended church in a long time. They are sweet, genuine people. D shared that he first gained a testimony of Jesus Christ when his brother died. Torn with despair and regret, he read the entire Bible in 2 weeks. He could not put it down, but hungered after the word of God. D explained the incredible healing and strength that came as he threw himself into the scriptures and learned about Jesus Christ. They both have desires to repent and return - we are seeing them Wednesday with some members.

Grovetown put up Christmas lights this week on light poles and such  - no complaints.

Finding is difficult. We talk to people all day and are trying to stretch ourselves and find new ways to contact and really... experiment and follow the Spirit when we talk to people. People just.. don't ever want us to come back. I have a tendency to worry that.. I don't know. I suppose I just always question if I'm doing enough or if maybe I'm missing something or falling short and so the Lord can't bless us with work and people to teach. When I account to the Lord each day I work hard to learn how the Lord feels about me as His servant and about the work we do each day. That brings me peace. I especially love when I hear the Spirit whisper a way I can be better - it is good to be shown how to grow.

We met a lady who recently joined herself with Jehovah's Witnesses this week. She shared with us her understanding of the fall of Adam and Eve - that it was an unforgivable mistake and that Adam and Eve ruined God's plan for us to dwell in a paradise with Him. Sister S and I listened and then shared with her our knowledge about the Fall. As we did so, it became so apparent to me that everything we know about the Fall is taught so plainly in the Book of Mormon. Heavenly Father knew that Adam and Eve would partake of the fruit - He prepared a way to redeem man from sin and death, the effects of the fall - the choices of no man have the power to upset God's work - Adam and Eve gained their knowledge of good and evil after partaking - children could be brought into the world only after the fall - the fall enables us to have joy. I am thankful that Heavenly Father's plan is outlined so clearly in the Book of Mormon. I am thankful for opposition - for weeds and trials and heartache - I am thankful for my agency - I am thankful that Adam and Eve chose to leave the garden that man might be - I am thankful for Jesus Christ, the Savior from the foundation of the world.

22 And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end.

23 And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.

24 But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things.

25 Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.

26 And the Messiah cometh in the fulness of time, that he may redeem the children of men from the fall. And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon, save it be by the punishment of the law at the great and last day, according to the commandments which God hath given.

27 Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.

28 And now, my sons, I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments; and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life, according to the will of his Holy Spirit;

-Sister Gore



welcome to the south

Looking happy in jackets and sweaters  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment