Saturday, October 14, 2017

We finally had a lesson with Alex last week. He is awesome. His highest pursuit is that of truth. Alex has started to read the Book of Mormon, but hesitates to pray because he feels that all the prayers he offered earlier in his life went unanswered. 
Our biggest challenge right now is probably just that the people we meet are incredibly busy. And even if they sincerely want to learn, it's hard to set appointments and what not.
My study time has become.. Just, awesome. It's something that I am guaranteed control over! So I have been focusing on digging into the plain and precious truths of the gospel while the work is slow so that the Lord can draw on my understanding when we do have people to teach. I usually can get ready fast enough to have 1.5 hours of study. A +. This week I studied a ton about how through Jesus Christ we can be cleansed from sin. I studied the relationship between grace and our own works. This doctrine is taught so clearly in the Book of Mormon! I love 2 Nephi which teaches us that "salvation is free" and that "men are free" and given all the knowledge and ability to "choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death". No unclean thing can dwell with God, and our sins and failures and carnal nature certainly makes us unclean. Jesus Christ came and suffered for us so that we can be clean and return to the presence of our Heavenly Father as we CHOOSE to be made clean by living the gospel of Jesus Christ. God calls unto us, saying, "whosoever repenteth, and hardeneth not his heart, he shall have claim on mercy through mine Only Begotten Son, unto a remission of his sins; and these shall enter into my rest" (Alma 12: 34).

I am thankful that the way is prepared. I am thankful that Heavenly Father expects me to change and grow and learn - that I cannot be saved in complacency. I am thankful that God is not content that we stay how we are, but that we become more like Him and rely on Jesus Christ. I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ - it it simple, it is true, it is a sure way to have peace in this life and to know we are on the path back to God and eternal joy. I am thankful that God expects us to work - as He surely works, ever on our behalf. I am thankful for Jesus Christ and his abounding and perfect love, by which He atoned for the sins of all mankind. He is the way, the truth, and the life - through Him we can grow closer to our Father in Heaven. I am thankful that God loved us so much that He sent Jesus Christ, His Only Begotten Son, to suffer, bleed, and die. I am thankful that the Savior ever pleads with us: Come, follow me.
We also had stake confernece this weekend in Evans. The Augusta stake is awesome! Super inspired leadership. We talked about how revelation from the Lord comes to the prophet and works its way to area authorities and stake presidencies and bishops and to parents and into the home. And that's the end of the road. And that's where it really matters that we live the gospel. One thing that touched me was said by a man who spoke of his new-found love and appreciation for family history work. He said, "I prayed often that family history would be a spiritual experience for me." I had never thought to do that! I am sure that if I had sought that from the Lord that I would've more diligently searched for my kindred dead. I resolved after that meeting to pray that the Lord would help me to have more spiritual experiences and that I might recognize them and have my testimony strengthened and light brightened.
I challenge you to do the same! Identify an area in your worship or.. daily life in which you are bored or less enthused about. Perhaps it is mutual or presidency meeting or council meetings or family dinners or your own personal study. family home evening. family council. Anything! Pray that the Lord will show you how to make it a spiritual experience. Act upon the impressions you receive. Be open to the influence of the Holy Ghost, who knoweth all things and inviteth and enticeth to do good continually. 

-Sister Emma Gore

No comments:

Post a Comment