Monday, May 15, 2017

Hi, y'all!

This week was hard. Missionaries plan meticulously. Missionaries plan carefully for hours in weekly planning on Friday, and then for a half hour each morning before heading out for the day. About 60% of the planned appointments we had set with investigators and members fell through this week. Which left us lots and lots of empty time. So much. And we plan back ups, of course, but even those can only take you so far. I would say that that was discouraging, but discouragement weakens faith. It wasn't discouraging. It was hard. But it gave Sister V and I so many opportunities to rely on the Spirit! Countless times this week we would pull over wherever we could and pray. We counseled with God constantly to know where He would have us be, whom He would have us see. What He needed us to do right then and there. We were able to follow the Spirit with desperation every minute of this week and it was so awesome. We saw miracles!! Here's one of them:

On Thursday morning we  were planning to go and help out at a.. I'm not quite sure what to call it, actually. Food bank?  We go and volunteer there when we can and count food donations and make bags and then take those bags out to the cars of those who are receiving. Anyways this was the plan and Sister V and I just didn't feel good about it. Instead, we felt we needed to drive 45 minutes to Butler, GA. There is nothing in Butler. We don't have a teaching pool, we didn't have any referrals to go and see, nothing. M is in Butler, but she had already told us we couldn't come and see her that day. Nevertheless, we got in the car and headed to  Butler, feeling a lot like Nephi who went forth not knowing beforehand the things that he should do. We got all the way there and still weren't sure why. We pulled over and looked at our list of potential investigators for the area. We made some phone calls. We prayed. We pondered. We listened. And then M called!! She is sort of in between houses right now and is in an awful sort of limbo between landlords that stresses her out a ton. She called us because she really just needed to talk to someone. But we were in Butler! So the Lord had led us to Butler for her. We went to see her and let her talk and cry. We asked M if we could pray. We knelt in her living room and she offered to God one of the most earnest and sincere prayers I have ever heard. She concluded and we remained kneeling on the carpet, her grief was evident however a profound peace that surpasses all understanding had come into her home and into each of our hearts.  She recognized in that moment that God was aware of her and loved her and told us that she knew that everything she was going through would be for her good - it would help her to become better. 

I read about prayer in the Bible Dictionary this week: 
As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are His children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings.

When I pray, I first remind myself that I am a daughter of God and that He loves me and already knows my thoughts and desires. I pray honestly and openly, without reserve. I think that in the past there had perhaps been times where I had to put on my happiest or most righteous face before I prayed. In reality, I can and should go to God in the most raw and honest way possible. These two attitudes have changed my prayers completely - they are more conversational, more open, more trusting in my Heavenly Father. I have been better able to recognize the promptings of the Holy Ghost when I pray, and am more aware of God's love for me. It has strengthened my relationship with my Heavenly Father greatly. I invite you to go and read all of the Bible Dictionary enterance under Prayer. Ponder about how you can make your prayers more meaningful and personal. Prayer is such a powerful principle - gift - from our Heavenly Father. Your Supreme Creator wants to hear from You - always. I could talk about this for probably forever, but instead please go and study about it for yourselves. I want to hear what you learn. :)

Jr. is getting baptized on Saturday, May 13 and we are so excited! Keep him and his family in your prayers, please. 

 Sister V is super nervous about dogs so anytime she sees one she zips up her bag in case she has to throw it and it always makes me laugh. Also we really wanted smores this week but were too tired to like.. go use the grills at our apartment complex so we just used the stove top. #missionarylife 10/10 recommend, though.

Oh! I do have a funny story. Last night we went to see S with the young women's president in the Perry Ward. At the end of our lesson she offered us a prayer and we all stood up and held hands in a circle. Just a little ways in, about 10 kids ran up because they realized what was going on and soon our circle was super big because all these little kids had joined hands with us to pray. And that was the most energetic "Amen!" I have ever heard. So fun.

I realized last night that I am almost at my 2 months and also only at my 2 months. But I found myself praying that maybe God could just slow down time for a little bit. I basically want to be a missionary forever and am just so humbled and in awe at this sacred opportunity I have. It fills me with real Joy. 

Love,
Sister Gore :)

REPENT!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment